- Stop it!
- Say you're sorry
- Set aside some time for self-reflection, either in solitude or in the company of a helpful friend (not the aggrieved party)
- Identify the pattern of thought or deed that induced you, an otherwise kind and caring person, to comport yourself like a selfish fool
- Describe that pattern in precise, nonjudgmental human language (i.e. "lack of compassion" not "being dumb as a stump")
- Draw up a self-improvement plan that directly addresses the pattern in question*
- Consider sharing your self improvement plan with the target of your onslaught**
*The Dewey Decimal number for Self Help is 150. The more enterprising, or less literate, might also look to hermit in a cave.
**User discretion is advised here. It is often unnecessarily self-indulgent to share your plan.